Even though a lot of people think that marijuana is harmless, it can be really dangerous. While not everyone that tries marijuana becomes addicted, it is not uncommon to develop a marijuana use disorder. As many as 30% of people who use marijuana develop a use disorder. You are more likely to develop a marijuana use disorder if you started using it at a younger age. Marijuana addiction is a real problem and is more common than you might think. So, what are some signs that you might have a use disorder or a dependence on marijuana?
- Feeling like you need the drug
- Experience withdrawal symptoms if you don’t use the drug
- Need the drug to get through your day
So how do you know if you have a dependence on the drug, or if you are addicted to marijuana? Some signs of marijuana addiction include:
- Can’t stop using the drug, regardless of the negative impact on your life
- Getting high at work or school
- Financial problems, resulting from drug purchasing
- Don’t feel normal unless using marijuana
- Needing more marijuana to get high
- Prioritizing marijuana over social or occupational responsibilities
Negative Effects of Weed
There are many adverse effects of using marijuana, some of which are short term and some long term. Short-term effects of using marijuana:
- Increased heart rate
- Slower reaction times
- Decreased energy
- Mental impairment
- Increased risk for stroke
- Significantly increased risk for contracting STDs
Long-term effects of using marijuana include:
- Decreased IQ
- Impaired learning and thinking ability
- Financial problems
- Increased risk of unemployment
- Relationship problems
- Lower life satisfaction
How to Deal with Marijuana Addiction
If you think you are addicted to marijuana, there is help available. The first step is admitting that you have a problem. You are much more likely to reach success with the help of a formal drug addiction treatment center. With a few simple steps, you can recover you’re your addiction.
- Ask for help – even though you feel like you are fighting this fight alone, there are many sources available that want to help. Friends, family, and even rehab centers are available to help you improve your life.
- Look into a rehab center – To beat your marijuana addiction for good, look into treatment options at different rehab centers. You can overcome this problem for good with a team of professionals on your side.
- Begin professional treatment – Overcoming an addiction is never easy. It is possible with the support of your loved ones and a drug addiction treatment center. Marijuana addiction recovery is possible by learning specificcoping strategies, such as replacing bad habits with good ones.
Getting away from the pressures of family and friends can help with the healing process. Sometimes the best way to recover is to seek treatment in another city or state. For more information, visit our website.